The tea tree is native to Australia, and the tea tree oil, or Melaleuca, is extracted through steam distillation of its twigs and leaves.
This oil is high in various healing compounds, so it offers numerous health benefits. Here are 9 of its uses:
Psoriasis & Eczema
- The anti-inflammatory properties of Melaleuca soothe eczema and psoriasis, so to create a natural lotion to treat them, you should just mix a teaspoon of coconut oil with 5 drops of tea tree oil and 5 drops of lavender oil.
Infections & Cuts
- Its anti-fungal and antibacterial qualities treat infections and cuts.
- You should apply a few drops on the cut, and cover with a bandage, in order to prevent an infection, and accelerate the healing process.
- The powerful antibacterial and anti-fungal properties soothe inflammation and destroy the bacteria that cause acne.
- Mix 5 drops of this oil with 2 tablespoons of raw honey and apply the mixture to the face.
- Rub it, leave it to act for 1 minute, and wash it off. This will treat acne and prevent their appearance.
- Melaleuca destroys bacteria in the oral cavity and treats inflammation, so it reduces tooth decay and gum bleeding.
- Just combine it with some baking soda and coconut oil, and you will get an effective, natural, homemade toothpaste.
- It effectively treats fungus as it has anti-fungal properties.
- Apply it to the affected area in the case of toenail fungus or athlete’s foot, or mix it with oregano oil for more stubborn infections.
- This oil has strong antimicrobial properties, so it can be used as a cleaning product in the household.
- Mix it with vinegar, water, and lemon essential oil, and use the combination to clean the sinks, shower, countertops, and kitchen appliances.
Hair & Scalp
- This oil treats dandruff and moisturizes the skin on the scalp.
- To prepare your natural, homemade shampoo, add several drops of tea tree essential oil to some coconut oil, Aloe Vera gel, and lavender oil.
- This oil has powerful natural antimicrobial properties which destroy bacteria responsible for the bad body odor.
- Therefore, mix it with baking soda and coconut oil to make your homemade deodorant.
- Diffuse tea tree oil around the home to cleanse the air of mold and bacteria.
- Moreover, to prevent mold in the bathroom, spray tea tree essential oil onto the shower curtains, and toilet.